IVF Diary Vol II: 31 Jan – 1 Feb 16

Medication(s) administered and dosage(s). Progesterone in Oil 1ml Intra-muscular injection, vivelle dot estrogen patches 0.1mg x2.  I still have not mastered injecting this thing myself, but getting used to seeing the needle going in and injecting the oil myself.

Medical procedures undertaken. Nil

What are my symptoms?  I have had some aches and pains around my ovaries.  I am also quite tired, mostly because I have not been sleeping overly well since starting the progesterone.

How do I feel today? A little stressed with work situation at the moment.  At work as we were trying to sort some issues out amongst the team, and I was sat there consciously trying to remain calm, breathing through my nose and exhaling through my mouth slowly and consciously.  That worked for the morning, the afternoon I was just plain sad about work.  Someone who I barely know came to find me after a meeting and asked if I was OK, I seemed a bit sad and not my cheery self.

Any results?  At 5pm my phone rang with the clinic’s number, I couldn’t think why they were calling me.  The nurse answered the other line in a somber voice.  She had bad news.  Our 9 embies didn’t make it to cryopreservation.  So, no frosties this time around.  I tried hard not to cry on the phone, and burst into tears at my work desk as soon as I got off.  I cried in the car on the way home from work, trying not crash through the blubbering tears and snot.  We are gutted.  I am grateful we managed to transfer two at least.

What’s next? Beta HcG test will be 12 days from now :-s

Weight. NSTR.

Waist. NSTR.

Boobs. NSTR.

*Notes.  I take First Response Reproductive Health multi vitamin gummies (pre-natal) and CoQ10 200mg gummies daily.  NSTR = Nothing Significant To Report.

IVF Diary Vol II: 29-30 Jan 16

Medication(s) administered and dosage(s). Progesterone in Oil 1ml Intra-muscular injection, vivelle dot estrogen patches 0.1mg x2.  Remember I was taking baby steps with self injecting the progesterone?  Well, I have not progressed any further, in fact I probably regressed.  I am really struggling to pull back the needle to check for blood and keeping the needle still, then I freak out when the needle is moving around in my butt!!! I have yet to take the plunge with putting the needle in myself.  I am feeling pretty miserable with my lack of progress. I’m not going to give up, but I’m feeling frustrated at myself.

Medical procedures undertaken. 5 Day Embryo Transfer!  Our transfer was scheduled for 7AM on Saturday, so we were up super early again.  I learned my lesson from last time around.  No tea before the procedure.  Usually I am a real grump without my morning cup of tea, but as tea is a diuretic I decided to avoid it this time.  I also didn’t drink anything until I arrived at the clinic. For our first IVF cycle, in addition to tea, I also drank 3/4 of the recommended water to take 30 minutes before the procedure (24oz) and I was painfully busting to go to the toilet.  So, now knowing my bladder size a bit better, I decided to drink just a third of the 24oz recommended water (and no tea).  I was a little nervous it wouldn’t be enough, but the ultrasound clearly showed my uterus (Dr also commented on the severity of my retroverted uterus as if it was a surprise!).

As I got onto the table ready for the transfer procedure the Doctor gave us a run down on the status of our 11 embryos.  This time, she showed us the report (last time the Dr just told us we had 2 eight cell embies).  We had not been given an update since the fertilisation report so I was very nervous!!!  Amazingly, all 11 embryos were still alive.  We had three blastocysts, graded 5BB, 5BB and 5CC.  The other 8 embryos were still only 9-5 cells.  They were going to wait one more day to see if they would catch up.  When I said ‘so this means we will have at least one to freeze?’, she didn’t seem particularly confident that we would have any.  But I will remain hopeful that the rest will catch up!!  We were transferring the best two blastocysts we had, and I am happy with that!

We have named our embies Petrie and Spike…can you guess why we ended up naming them this?

ivf2_blasts

Introducing Petrie & Spike – our Day 5 Embryos – now on board!  (We think that weird stickie looking thing is a scratch on the petri dish – that or I will be giving birth to some stick man)

The Dr prepared me for the procedure, she washed out my ‘baby house’ as she called it, then practiced inserting the catheter, everything went smoothly!  Then the embryologist came to confirm my identity, he went back to the embryology lab to show on the TV screen in our room our name on the petri dish and then a zoomed in picture of our embryos.  Then he came back in the room with our embryos ready to be transferred.  The Dr quickly did the transfer as we watched on the ultrasound monitor the liquid with the embryos in it go up into my uterus.  Chris later described it looking like a ‘shooting star’.  I thought that was a lovely way to describe this!  I was wheeled back to the recovery room and I had to lie down for one hour before they would let me either pee or leave!!!

What are my symptoms?  I think the estrogen and progesterone are starting to kick in and I had a good old cry last night.  It wasn’t helped by my failure to do my own progesterone injection.

How do I feel today? I was pretty relaxed with the whole procedure today and I am feeling positive still. Woohoo!

Any results?  I am thinking of doing a home pregnancy test everyday from 7 days past the 5 day transfer – last time I tested the day before the beta.  But this time I am thinking of testing simply in the name of science.  I don’t know why, I’ll have a think about this – I’ve got a while anyway!  2 Week Wait here we come!!!

What’s next? Beta HcG test will be 13 days from now :-s

Weight. NSTR.

Waist. The Dr showed me my squished uterus today from my stimulated ovaries – there were some pretty big follicles still in there. I am not surprised I am still bloated as I am.  The Dr told me to keep up the drinking to help flush them out.

Boobs. Definitely growing.

Hours of Sunshine 🙂 Deleted from my diary…what’s the point?  The one sunny day at a weekend – I am on enforced bed rest!!!

*Notes.  I take First Response Reproductive Health multi vitamin gummies (pre-natal) and CoQ10 200mg gummies daily.  NSTR = Nothing Significant To Report.

When to transfer? The pros and cons

Last update I had on the development of our embryos was Wednesday morning (Day 1)…we had 4 fertilised eggs.  Today (Day 2) we do not know what has happened to them.  Tomorrow (Day 3) at 7AM we are going in to potentially have a day 3 embryo transfer.  So we have been debating about our decision to do a day 3 or a day 5 transfer.  Without any knowledge of the status of our embryos everything is rather circumspect.  So we discussed the pros and cons of each scenario*.

Day 3 Pros

  • Good chance of actually having a transfer!
  • Maybe the embryos will be better off developing inside me.
  • Freezing on day 3 means we have more embryos to freeze.

Day 5 Pros

  • You get to transfer the best embryos
  • Physiological conditions – embryos (blastocysts) would normally be in the uterus at the stage – so they are in the right place!
  • Reduces the chance of multiples
  • If the embryos don’t make it to day 5, then there isn’t a 2 week wait to find out and therefore less medication.
  • good quality embryos (blastocysts) frozen.
  • Better chances body has recovered from egg retrieval.

Day 3 cons

  • A greater chance of multiples
  • Embryos normally would be in the fallopian tube on this day
  • Poorer quality embryos may be frozen
  • Lower quality or ‘wrong’ embryos may be transferred
  • Body not fully recovered from egg retrieval procedure  – I am actually still massively bloated, my abdomen is sore and hard, walking is still not my greatest past time at the moment, I still have constipation and I am still bleeding a little bit (Initially thought I was peeing blood today!).

Day 5 cons

  • Embryos may not grow to blastocyst (usually due to abnormal genetics – although isn’t this a good thing?)
  • There is a risk of no transfer at all (crazy emotions could be a point here)
  • Potentially less embryos to freeze
  • May loose some embryos that would have grown inside the body

After our discussions we both believed that we would probably want to wait to transfer to day 5, but we will wait to see what the doctor suggests.  I feel like we will have to make a decision on the spot which is a bit scary.  And it is both of our decisions, not just mine and not just Chris’s either :-s Eeeek, I’m nervous!!!

*This list was mostly adapted from the book: IVF: A Patient’s Guide by Rebecca Matthews

IVF a patient's guide