Baby clothing that says NO to gender stereotypes?

I like pink.  I like purple.  I like flowers.  I like ribbons. I like make up. I like baking.  What am I? I am a girl.

I like blue.  I like green.  I like dinosaurs.  I like building stuff.  I like space.  What am I?  I am a GIRL.

What will my baby like?  I don’t know yet. And to begin with, she doesn’t get to choose what she wears…I do. (And Chris of course too :-)) So why do I feel that when I go shopping for baby clothes and decor that I am constantly feeling the pressure into buying stuff for my baby that fits some kind of gender stereotype?

Now as a reminder, I live in Virginia, USA.  Technically I live in a city, so there are plenty of shops to buy baby related items in.  We have all the big department stores and big name brands available.  We also have a handful of boutique shops.  But I don’t live in a city like DC, New York or Boston where there are a multitude of options.  Where I live I feel like there is little choice except for pink and purple (for girls) or blue and green (for boys)…occasionally we will find grey, brown and yellow gender neutral clothing or items.  But they are usually soooo dull (QED old navy’s unisex page)

BTW – we still haven’t bought anything specifically for Rocky yet!!!  I have been looking…but haven’t committed.  Basically I consider it my reconnaissance mission.  I will buy something eventually, but I’m still not really ready for clothing.  We have bought things for Rocky’s nursery however, so we have spent time looking at baby decor.  I set up a pinterest board a while ago and have been adding things as I find them.  I had a vision – Chris had a vision too…so we have worked together on figuring out what we both want.  This process made me realise that many of the ‘high street shops’ separate out girls & boys kids decor.  I often found myself in the boys section where the cool animals were!  (BTW – why are owls always dressed up in pink??!!! Can’t boys like owls too?!)

So what did I do about it? I looked on the web of course…here are a few useful places to look:

Huff’s 12 kids clothing lines that break the gender stereotypes: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/07/kids-clothing-lines-break-gender-stereotypes_n_6925592.html

Baby Gap and H&M aren’t too bad: http://www.gap.com/products/baby-clothes.jsp  http://www.hm.com/us/products/kids/newborn

Interesting Gender Neutral Parenting Article: http://www.parents.com/parenting/gender-neutral-parenting/

Gender EQUAL clothes with a kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mitzaccessories/mitz-apparel-gender-equal-clothing-for-babies-and

By the way – yes you will see Rocky in pink and flowers…but also many other colours and objects!  I am also not yet of a fully formed opinion about gender neutral parenting.  So I will revisit this topic some time again in the future I have no doubt!

Add in your thoughts and ideas for places to shop into the comments below!!!

Advertisements

17 thoughts on “Baby clothing that says NO to gender stereotypes?

1. Que Milagro says:

Love this! Definitely shopping for Amora on some of these. I do love dressing her up super girly, though. I love doing her hair, and fancy dresses, and curlers, and ballerina everrrrrything. I do. But it’s because I love those things myself, and I figure why not enjoy it while I can 😊 Can’t dress them up forever!

Liked by 1 person

• thegreatpuddingclubhunt says:

I think babies are initially an extended mini version of mummy and daddy’s personalities until they get to choose themselves!!! I don’t have much style so that will probably be reflected in poor Rocky’s clothes!!! But yes, you absolutely have to have fun dressing them with your choice whilst you can!!!! 😃

Liked by 1 person

2. Amy M. says:

I actually hate pink. I do, however, love purple. But, I also love blue and green. There are almost no baby girl clothes in those colors. I do have a couple things that are meant for boys, but whatever. Why can’t a girl wear blue with giraffes on it, too? Why do the mostly-generic-looking blue and gray pants have pockets instead of a little bow like the pink and purple ones do? It’s so frustrating. Maybe we should get together and start our own gender neutral yet COLORFUL baby clothing company!! (We do live fairly close to each other, after all!)

Liked by 1 person

• thegreatpuddingclubhunt says:

I have definitely looked in boys sections for clothes too but then they will have boy associated slogans on them!!!! Aghhh!!! So annoying!!!

Haha yes that’s a great idea!! But only If you design ALL the clothes….I have NO sense of coolness. I kind of know what I’m looking for when I’m shopping, but I could never create stuff like that!! I noticed in my hunt that there are loads of startups with this kind of mantra (gender neutral and colorful too) but they are soooooo expensive!!!! I guess because they have to make money somehow…I think I would feel like I’m stealing people’s money!!!! Some of these websites charge $22 for one baby grow!!! 🤔 I’m such a cheap skate 😂

Liked by 1 person

• Amy M. says:

I’m no designer, though I can’t imagine baby clothes would be too hard. Not like you’re trying to make new fits and styles, just onesies and sleepers lol! If we lived within an hour or so of each other, it would be interesting to see if we could actually do something about this! Oh and I’m super cheap too…pretty much everything I’ve bought for her has been on sale or clearance. I refuse to pay full price for something she will only wear for days, weeks, or months!

3. Arwen says:

Drives me INSANE. Why only mice cats owls and rabbits for girls? And houses, or fruit ffs. I hear the UK is better but it drives me mental here too!! Also people just assume my daughter is a boy if she’s in anything that isn’t pink. Seriously. She wore a blue dress and three people thought she was a boy!!!
    Some great stuff in those links. My obsession is with skandi clothes (not that I can afford a lot!!). Check out Maxomorra, smafolk, duns and my current favourite polarn o.pyret.

Liked by 1 person

• thegreatpuddingclubhunt says:

The UK is definitely better than the US! I’ve been trying to figure out if I can get stuff delivered from there…but I really
      Like to be able to touch and feel clothes before I decide to buy!

That is what I expect will happen with us – but a blue DRESS and people still called her a boy??!!! 🙄

Thank you for the tips – my homework for this eve!!!!! 🤗

• thegreatpuddingclubhunt says:

I know that as adults we shop in separate sections – but that’s because of sizes!! (Ok ok, and dresses…and skirts 😳) but as for colours in adult clothing – anything goes! I just wish it was the same for babies!! I have been looking in boys sections too, but even then they often have a boy related slogan on them!!! Aghhh!

Liked by 1 person

4. lyra211 says:

I love the gender-neutral clothing stores highlighted in the HuffPost article, but why do they have to be so freaking expensive?! It’s nuts to pay $18 for a single onesie when I can get a 4-pack at Carters for much less. But even though Carter’s isn’t as bad as some other places, they’re still pretty aggressively gendered. If I could just get plain, simple onesies and baby pants in bright primary colors for the same cost as the Carter’s stuff, I’d be a happy mama.

Liked by 1 person

5. dubliner in deutschland says:

can’t really recommend shops are they are probably different to the ones over here. I was buying a baby present for a friend who doesn’t like pink and C&A had really cute outfits with colourful fruit patterns and primark had a few things with stars & patterns like that. I do think little girl dresses are adorable though.

Liked by 1 person

6. My Perfect Breakdown says:

I’ll admit I love shopping for my friends who are having girls. Not because I like pink (I actually despise it), but because it’s nice to step outside of the boy section.
    Honestly, more then colours I’ve found that finding the right brand to fit our baby’s shape was harder – skinny babies are hard to fit evidently and that had greatly limited what he can wear.

Liked by 1 person

7. notpregnantinrezza says:

I thought a lot about this too. I started by erring on the side of buying more of the “boys” colours but have ended up either been given or bought pink “girls” things too. I figure she can have a variety and when she’s old enough we’ll go with whatever she likes best. My family knows that they are banned from buying princessy things though. There’s a book called Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine which I thought did an excellent job of dispelling the supposed science around sex differences and talked a bit about parenting without pushing gender stereotypes. Gender born, gender made by Dianne Ehrensaft is also great although probably less relevant. It’s about gender nonconforming kids but gives a great message around providing a healthy approach to gender for kids. Good luck with your clothing search! It’s fun to search and I hope you enjoy buying a few things when you feel ready 🙂